Despite charges that the officer hired a man to kidnap and kill two people, a judge freed him Wednesday.
Audrey Faye Moorehead reasoned that prosecutors had no probable cause to support the charges against Bryan Riser. The 36-year-old was arrested last month on suspicion of murder for the 2017 deaths of Albert Douglas, 61, and Lisa Saenz, 31.
According to the New York Times, a prosecutor admitted that he did not have enough evidence to continue the trial for the two counts of capital murder. Officials charged Riser in March after a witness claimed he hired him to kill Douglas and Saenz and dump their bodies in a river.
The evidence simply was not enough to support the charges against Riser.
According to NPR, officials discovered Saenz’ body in the river with multiple gunshot wounds. They never found Douglas’ body, despite the fact that his family reported him missing in February 2017.
Dallas police stated that the investigation is still open and that Riser may face charges in the future.
Riser said that he was “100% innocent from the get go,” and just wanted to go home to his family. His wife, Ebony Samuel-Riser said that Dallas police owes them an apology.