hargrove shot prison

No account yet? Register

Rodney Hargrove was fatally shot inside the gates of the Curran-Fromhold Correction Facility in Philadelphia just one hour after he was released from the prison on Thursday.

Hargrove, who had been held on theft charges since March 11, posted bail and was released from prison at 1:10 am. He was shot and killed while he was waiting for his family to pick him up at the SEPTA bus stop across the street from the prison. According to Philadelphia Department of Prisons Commissioner Blanche Carney, a car pulled up near Hargrove about 47-minutes after he reached the bus stop. The car began to chase him until he ran back through the entrance gate of the prison.

Although there is normally a guard posted at the entrance gate, the arm to the gate was raised and no one was present at the scene. The vehicle was able to follow Hargrove through the entrance and then shoot him at close range several times.

When they arrived on the scene, police and medics found the 20-year-old lying on the sidewalk. Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector Scott Small reported that Hargrove had suffered multiple gunshot wounds to his arms, chest, and torso.

Prison guards that were near the scene at the time of the crime noted that they heard gunshots and then saw a dark colored vehicle speeding away from the grounds. Carney revealed in a press conference on Thursday that no surveillance cameras were set up at the SEPTA bus stop because the property was beyond that of the prison’s. Philadelphia Department of Prisons is currently searching for any video that might exist of the shooting.

In the press conference, Carney stated that it is too early to determine whether or not Hargrove’s murder was tied to the crime for which he was charged. She also added that authorities do not know who arranged to post his bail. This investigation is ongoing.

What do you think?

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Privacy Policy